June 3, 2013

SM Town Collaborations and Subunits I'd Like to See

I know I mentioned a few under my blurb about SM Predictions, but here's a place where I can let my imagination run wild with my ideas for SMTown subunits or collaborations.  Please bare with me.

EXO

Members:  Kris, Chanyeol, Tao and Xiumin
Possible Names:  EXO-B
Why:  This would be a là U-KISS's subunit, uBEAT, guesting Kevin.  It's rap-oriented but pulls in a member who's a good singer to make it more acceptable in the K-Pop mainstream.  Xiumin would be able to come out from under the shadow of Chen, Baekhyun, Luhan, and D.O. and show off the pipes he's got.  Heck, the boy got contracted by SM for winning second place at one of their contests.  He can sing.

Members:  Chen, Baekhyun
Possible Names:  CheBae (pronounced Chibi, like the cute Japanese cartoon characters)
Why:  This would the EXO version of Super Junior KRY.  Focused on ballads, like Super Junior they would have frequent guest appearances by Luhan and D.O.
I would definitely listen to this group.  Great voices.

Members:  Kris, Tao, Lay, and Luhan
Possible Names:
Why:  Unless they try to stagger the army departures like Super Junior (which I don't feel is working very well...they could have done a Shinhwa and come back even stronger), it's bound to happen.  These four, since they are Chinese and Canadian citizens, do not do mandatory military service.  Unless them gets the acting bug or a lucrative modeling career, they'll have nothing to do for 2 years!


Girls' Generation

Members:  Yuri, Sooyoung, and Hyohyeon
Possible Names:  Girls' Generation - HSY (HyoSuYoo)
Why:  TaeTiSeo gets their own subunit, so why not show of these lovely ladies' dance skills and do a hip-hop or dance themed subunit?  They could really show off a fierce side of SNSD without drenching it in aegyo or doing it too subtly like they did with "Run Devil Run".  (You could arrange their initials to "SHY", but I don't think the subunit would be shy...)

SMTown

Members:  Girls' Generation's Tiffany and Jessica, f(x)'s Amber and Krystal, Super Junior-M's Henry, and EXO's Kris.  They could also add in SHINee's Key to more even out the male-to-female ratio.
Possible Names:  Transcend
Why:  These are the most fluent English speakers SM has.  Since they want to break into the market, the key is being able to communicate.  This way non-K-Pop fans could be spared the blank "I-have-no-idea-what's-going-on" glaze from non-English speaking members.  It also takes a good picking from SM's various groups.  These selections have also lived in either the US or Canada for more than 5 years so they better understand the feel of Western fans and music venues.

Members:  Super Junior's Kyuhyun, SHINee's Jonghyun, EXO-M's Chen, EXO-K's Baekhyun
Possible Names:  S.M. the Ballad II
Why:  With Jay in the army and Jino chained in SM's dungeons, we have sorely been lacking some SM the Ballad.  Chen and Baekhyun are young enough that they won't be heading to the army any time soon and Jonghyun probably won't either with all the injuries he's been suffering.  Kyuhyun might even get exempt depending on the severity of any lasting issues stemming from his car accident.

In addition to subunits, here are some songs (old and new) that I'd like to see covered at some future SMTown Concert.


Good Girls Go Bad // Starship Cobra ft. Leighton Meister
Who: EXO's Kris, Super Junior-M's Henry, SHINee's Key, f(x)'s Krystal and Amber, Girls' Generation's Tiffany
Why: This just struck me as a great song for the SM artists to have fun with.

Bad Habit;  Future Love;  Zero;  Lookin' For Love // Varsity Fanclub
Who: EXO's Baekhyun, Luhan, Chen, Suho, and Kris
Why: SM gods, if you can't give me an official EXO subunit, at least give me this.
--> Tangent: [For those of you unfamiliar, Varsity Fanclub was a group I use to listen to before getting into K-Pop.  Their lead singer, Drew Ryan Scott got me hooked on SS501 since he and his group had done the demo for the track (originally set to be a VFC song before their group had management issues).  The group sings acapella decently and dances too.  It consisted of Drew Ryan Scott, Jayk Purdy, David Lei Brandt, Thomas Fiss, and actor Bobby Edner.  This was totally my group in high school.] <-- End Tangent.
They aren't around any more (three members left, they gained three more and changed their name to After Romeo) but I still think they had some good songs.

What Have You Done // Within Temptation ft. Keith Caputo
Who: Girl's Generation's Jessica and Taeyeon, Super Junior-M's Henry (on the violin), EXO's Chanyeol and Kris
Why: I just like this song and I think it would be cool to see it.  They might have to bring Sharon's part down for Jessica and Taeyeon, but maybe they could hit it.

Spinnin' Around // Jump5
Who:  f(x)'s Victoria and Krystal, EXO's Tao, Super Junior's Donghae, and Girls' Generation's Yuri
Why: This group was known for its use of flips in their dances (and even their live performances) and it would be a cool way to show off what Victoria and Tao could do.  Also, after the "Spectrum" performance, we know Donghae can do flips. :)  I don't know if Yuri or Krystal can do flips, but I do know they're both very flexible.

Helena // My Chemical Romance
Who: EXO's Baekhyun and Chen
OR:  Super Junior's Kyuhyun and Yesung
OR:  SHINee's Taemin and Jonghyun
Why: My first pick would be Baekhyun and Chen because I heard Baekhyun sang in a band in high school (though, I'm not sure if it's what the West calls a "band").  I picked the other four because I feel they would do well with a rock/emo/punk song like this.  But I have a feeling MCR would roll over in the disbandment grave if they heard a pop company like SM covered one of their songs....

The Boys Are Back // US5 version
Who: EXO
Why: After EXO's long hiatus, isn't this such an appropriate song???  (Sadly, I saw the High School Musical Movie in theaters with my cousins...thanks for being hooked on the Disney Channel, cuz ;))  While it's Disney and the rights are going to be insanely expensive, I'm sure SM could afford it.

Kissing You // Girls' Generation
Who: EXO
Why: Super Junior's done Girls' Generation's "Gee' and f(x)'s "Chu" so EXO will probably have their turn when they get enough steam to do a full solo concert.  I really can't wait to see them all in skirts and holding large lollipops...doo doo doo, kissing you baby...

1 comment: