April 12, 2014

Let's Learn Together: 슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 해 (Because I Love You) // 웬디 (Wendy) [SMROOKIES]

Let's Learn Together:  슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 해 (Because I Love You) // 웬디 (Wendy) [SMROOKIES]


Song:  슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 해 (Because I Love You)
Album:  미미 Official Soundtrack
Artist:  웬디 (Wendy) [SMROOKIES]
Lyrics:  music.naver.com
Company:  SM Entertainment

English:  10 / 10
Translation Difficulty:  4 / 10



Please credit "auditionadviceandthoughts@blogspot.com" or "angelsfallfast."

Just A Few Words:
I didn't listen to this earlier because I didn't have the time when it first came out.  However, after listening to Wendy's cover of Taylor Swift's "Speak Now", I just had to check it out!  I don't know about you, but Wendy is now my bias!
[Edit:  4/21/14]

English:  10 /10
There's no English in the song (though I doubt it would be fine seeing as how her cover of "Speak Now" went and that she was raised in Canada as an English speaker) but the English in the title is fine.

Translation Difficulty:  4 / 10
Ballads are always a little difficult for me just because I'm not good with Korean imagery.  I'm not exactly sure what some of it means, much like a Korean speaker translating an English song might not understand our imagery.  Also lines like "외로웠었던 나의 메마른 그 두 눈에" doesn't translate well into English.

10 Words:
  1. 지우다 (verb):  "erase [wipe] (sth from one's mind)" or "blot out" or "purge (sb of sth)"
  2. 불어오다 (verb):  "blow (in) (from)"
  3. 텅 빈 (adjective):  "hollow" or "empty" or "vacant" or "bare"
  4. 새벽하늘 (noun):  "the dawning sky"
  5. (noun):  "side"
  6. 떠나다 (verb):  "leave" or "depart" or "go off (to)"
  7. 짓다 (verb):  "{smile}" or "{make happy, etc.}"
  8. 낯설다 (adjective):  "unfamiliar"
  9. 어둡다 (adjective):  "dark" or "dusky" or "dim" or "gloomy"
  10. 언젠가 (adverb):  "sometime" or "someday" or "one day" or "one of these days"
Credit:  dic.naver.com


Politeness Level:
Casual
The singer(s) are comfortable to the audience.  They are close friends, family, or in a relationship.


슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 해 (Because I Love You)
sorrow; sadness; grief (over/at) // inside + [LOC] // you + [OBJ] // erase [wipe] (sth from one's mind); blot out; purge (sb of sth) + {obligation} + only; just /// (Because I Love You)
Inside [my] sorrow [I] really must erase you from [my] mind (Because I Love You)
-->  In my sorrow, I really must erase you from my mind (Because I Love You)
--->  In My Sorrow I Must Erase You (Because I Love You)
---->  *I Must Forget You In the Midst of My Sorrow (Because I Love You)

창가에 불어오는 가을바람은 텅 빈 마음을 스쳐 가는데
window + [LOC] // blow (in) (from) + [MOD] // autumn wind + [TOP] // hollow; empty; vacant; bare // heart; mind + [OBJ] // graze; brush (past/against) + continue to + {background}
As for the autumn wind, the autumn wind that blows through the window continues to graze [my] empty heart, but
-->  The autumn wind that blows in from the window continues to graze my hollow heart, but
--->  Blowing in from the window, the autumn wind grazes my hollow heart, but
---->  *The autumn wind blows through the window and grazes my hollow heart, but
차가워진 벽에 기대어
cold; frigid; icy + {passive} + [MOD] // wall + [LOC] // lean [rest] (on/against); recline (in/on)
[I] rest against the wall that becomes frigid.
-->  I rest against the wall that's frigid.
--->  I rest against the frigid wall.
멀리 밝아오는 새벽하늘 바라보아요
far, far away // dawn; break + continue to + [MOD] // the dawning sky // look over; command; overlook; be in sight; come [heave] in sight; come in to view
The dawning sky that continues to break far, far away comes into view.
-->  The dawning sky that breaks far, far away comes into view.
--->  *The distant dawning sky comes into view.

보고 싶지만 가까이 갈 수 없어
to see + to want + {opposite} // nearby; close (to); near (to) // to go + {without the ability}
[I] want to see [you] but [I] do not have the ability to get near to [you].
-->  I want to see you, but I can't get near you.
--->  *I miss you but I can't get any closer.
이젠 그대 곁을 떠나가야 해
now + [TOP] // you; your // side + [OBJ] // leave; depart; go off (to) + {obligation}
Now [I] must leave your side.
-->  Now I must leave you.
외로웠었던 나의 메마른 그 두 눈에 크고 따뜻한 사랑을 주었던
lonely; solitary; lonesome + {past tense} + {past tense - completed} + [MOD] // I; me + [POS] // dry; parched; {unfeeling}; {hard} + [MOD] // that; those; the // two // eye(s) + [LOC] // big; large; great + and // warm; warm-hearted; kind-hearted; kind; genial + [MOD] // love + [OBJ] // to give (sb sth/sth to sb) + {past tense} + {past tense - completed} + [MOD]
In those two unfeeling eyes of mine who had, in the past, been lonely, was given a love that is big and warm {by you}.
-->  In those two unfeeling eyes of me who had been lonely, was given a big and warm love {by you}.
--->  I was lonely and in my hardened eyes, you gave me a big and warm love.
---->  I was lonely and in my hardened eyes, you gave a big, warm love.

그대 곁을 이제 떠나는 것을 후회할지도 모르지만 그댈 사랑하기 때문이야
you; your // side + [OBJ] // now // leave; depart; go off (to) + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // regret; be sorry (for); feel regret (for) + {possibility} + {conjecture} // you; your + [OBJ] // to love + because + to be
[I] may regret the thing that is leaving your side now but [it] is because [I] love you.
-->  [I] may regret leaving your side now but it's because I love you.
--->  I might regret leaving you, but it's because I love you.
그대만을 사랑하는 걸 잊을 수는 없지만
you; your + only; just + [OBJ] // to love + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // to forget; put [get] sb [sth] out of one's mind [head] + {without the ability} + {emphasis} + {conjecture}
[I] really do not have the ability to forget the thing that [I] love which is only you, but
-->  I cannot forget the only thing I love, which is you, but
--->  The only thing I love is you and I cannot forget you, but
---->  *You're the only one I love and I can't forget you, but
슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 해
sorrow; sadness; grief (over/at) // inside + [LOC] // you + [OBJ] // erase [wipe] (sth from one's mind); blot out; purge (sb of sth) + {obligation} + only; just
Inside [my] sorrow [I] really must erase you from [my] mind
-->  In my sorrow, I really must erase you from my mind
--->  In my sorrow I must erase you
---->  *I must forget you in the midst of my sorrow.

눈부신 햇살 아래 많은 사람들은 웃음 지으며 걷고 있지만
dazzling; glaring; blinding + [MOD] // sunshine; sun; sunlight; sunbeam // below; {under} // a lot of; many; much + [MOD] // people + {plural} + [TOP] // laugh; laughter; smile // {smile} + {simultaneously} // walk; tread + {progressive tense} + {conjecture}
Under the sunshine that is blinding, many people laugh a laugh while walking but
-->  Under the blinding sunshine, many people laugh while walking but
--->  Under the dazzling sun, many people are laughing and walking but
---->  *People are laughing and walking under the shimmering sun but
차갑게만 느껴지는 가을 하늘처럼 온 세상이 낯설게 보여
cold; chilly; icy; frosty + only becoming...; only...-ly // feel; experience; find; sense + {emphasis} + [MOD] // autumn sky + like // whole; entire // the world; society + [SUB] // unfamiliar; {strange} + [MOD] // seem; appear; look (like); be seen; come in sight
Like the autumn sky that really feels like [it] is only becoming cold, the entire world appears in an unfamiliar manner.
-->  Like the autumn sky that feels like it only gets colder, the whole world seems strange.
--->  The whole world seems strange like the autumn sky that feels like it only gets colder.

사랑하지만 떠날 수밖에 없어
to love + {conjecture} // leave; depart; go off (to) + {no other choice}
[I] love [you] but [I] have no choice but to leave [you].
-->  I love you but I have no choice but to leave you.
--->  *I love you but I have to leave you.
지금 이 순간이 너무 힘들어
(just/right) now // this // moment; instant + [SUB] // really; so // hard; difficult; tough
Right now this moment is really tough.
-->  Right now this is so difficult.
어두웠지만 나는 알 수 있었어 그대 눈가에 흐르는 눈물을
dark; dusky; dim; gloomy + {past tense} + {conjecture} // I; me + [TOP] // realize; recognize; find; notice; sense; perceive; be aware (of); be conscious (of) + {ability to} + {past tense} /// you; your // eye rim(s) + [LOC] // to flow; run; stream; trickle + [MOD] // tear(s) + [OBJ]
[It] was beak but, I had had the ability to sense [it]. [{your tears that trickle in your eye rims}].
-->  [Everything] was dark but I was able to sense your tears that trickle out of the corner of your eyes.
--->  *Everything was dark but I could sense your tears as they trickled out of the corner of your eyes.
---->  *Everything was dark but I could sense your tears as they trickled down your cheeks.

난 그대에게 상처만을 주지만 언젠간 내 마음을 이해할 수 있겠지
I; me + [TOP] // you; your + {action recipient} // would; scar; hurt + only; just + [OBJ] // to give; present + {conjecture} // sometime; someday; one day; one of these days + [TOP] // I; me + [POS] // heart; mind + [OBJ] // to understand + {ability to} + {assumption}
As for me, I give you only wounds, but one of these day, perhaps [you] will understand my heart.
-->  I give you only wounds, but perhaps one day you will understand my heart.
--->  *I only give you pain but perhaps one day you will understand how I feel.
---->  *I only give you pain but perhaps one day you will understand why.

그대 곁을 이제 떠나는 것을 후회할지도 모르지만 그댈 사랑하기 때문이야
you; your // side + [OBJ] // now // leave; depart; go off (to) + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // regret; be sorry (for); feel regret (for) + {possibility} + {conjecture} // you; your + [OBJ] // to love + because + to be
[I] may regret the thing that is leaving your side now but [it] is because [I] love you.
-->  [I] may regret leaving your side now but it's because I love you.
--->  I might regret leaving you, but it's because I love you.
그대만을 사랑하는 걸 잊을 수는 없지만
you; your + only; just + [OBJ] // to love + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // to forget; put [get] sb [sth] out of one's mind [head] + {without the ability} + {emphasis} + {conjecture}
[I] really do not have the ability to forget the thing that [I] love which is only you, but
-->  I really don't have the ability to forget [you, the only one I love], but
--->  I can't forget you, the only one I love, but
---->  *You're the only one I love and I can't forget you, but
슬픔 속에 그댈 지워야만 [해]
sorrow; sadness; grief (over/at) // inside + [LOC] // you + [OBJ] // erase [wipe] (sth from one's mind); blot out; purge (sb of sth) + {obligation} + only; just
Inside [my] sorrow [I] really must erase you from [my] mind
-->  In my sorrow, I really must erase you from my mind
--->  In my sorrow I must erase you
---->  *I must forget you in the midst of my sorrow.

그대 곁을 이제 떠나는 것을 후회할지도 모르지만 그댈 사랑하기 때문이야
you; your // side + [OBJ] // now // leave; depart; go off (to) + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // regret; be sorry (for); feel regret (for) + {possibility} + {conjecture} // you; your + [OBJ] // to love + because + to be
[I] may regret the thing that is leaving your side now but [it] is because [I] love you.
-->  [I] may regret leaving your side now but it's because I love you.
--->  I might regret leaving you, but it's because I love you.
그대만을 사랑하는 걸 잊을 수는 없지만
you; your + only; just + [OBJ] // to love + [MOD] // thing + [OBJ] // to forget; put [get] sb [sth] out of one's mind [head] + {without the ability} + {emphasis} + {conjecture}
[I] really do not have the ability to forget the thing that [I] love which is only you, but
-->  I really don't have the ability to forget [you, the only one I love], but
--->  I can't forget you, the only one I love, but
---->  *You're the only one I love and I can't forget you, but
사랑하는 그대여 안녕
to love + [MOD] // you; your + {endearment} // good-bye; bye
You who I love, good-bye.
-->  My dear who I love, good-bye.
--->  *I love you, my dear, good-bye.
---->  *Good-bye my darling.

No comments:

Post a Comment