March 24, 2014

Review: SM The Ballad - Vol. 2 "Breath"

Hey guys, sorry for the long wait!  (School rocks for education and learning but sucks for side projects and hobbies...). Since none of us are music critics, Rachel came up with a simple rubric to grade the album in review. Click here for the rubric. 


(source)
S.M. The Ballad is back!!!  They're back, but with different members. The Ballad was always meant to be a rotating group and all, and I'm happy and sad about that.  Now that Jay is in the military, Jino is in undebuted purgatory (aka, some musical in Japan), and Kyuhyun is busy keeping his variety show king title, Jonghyun is left as SM's resident male balladier and the only "original" Ballad member to remain.  But watch out Jonghyun, Yesung is back from the army...
Interestingly, the first album is pure instrumental - a very curious and refreshing addition to SM material.  It's a good musical introduction to "Breath" if you're into listening to compositions as a whole, but I suspect that most K-Pop fans will skip over it.

This particular album is interesting in the fact that SM has released a Korean, Chinese, and Japanese version of the title song "Breath."  My little gripe is wondering where in the heck is the English version?  Ballads may be SM's way into the English-language market and it wouldn't really matter how well it did as a single, since the Korean version is their main focus.  They could get Henry and Amber to sing it and it would be perfect.

Breath

Rachel: I really like this song.  I'm not a music critic or even a music major so I can't be all technical, but I like this song.  Personally, I'm biased towards the Chinese version.  First, I'm glad to Zhang Liyin coming out of the dark and lonely SM dungeon. Second, I love how her lighter and airier voice contrasts with Chen's deeper and richer voice.

The Korean version, Jonghyun and Taeyeon, is my neutral choice.  After hearing the contrast between Zhang Liyin and Chen, I didn't feel that Jonghyun and Taeyeon had voices that contrasted enough. They seem to be in the same range/register (sorry, not a music expert!) and vocal "flavor", and the voices sounds eerily similar during the harmonies. When Kyuhyun and Tiffany did "아름다운 그대에게 (Rise & Shine)," they had similar registers but different vocal "flavor." 

My least favorite version was the Japanese version.  While the voices contrast nicely like the Chinese version, I don't think the voices fit this particular song.  Changmin was and is TVXQ's power vocal. His specialty seems to lie in belting and this song really isn't built for a belt-er (say that ten times fast). This ballad also doesn't really suit Krystal's voice.  I personally think that BoA should have been Changmin's partner, seeing as she knows Japanese more intimately, but I understand SM's desire to include a member from f(x). (I would vote for J-Min to get back in the spotlight, but BoA has enough charisma to stand up to Changmin while J-Min does not).  BoA can do breathy, but Krystal's voice seems more...grounded?  But then and again, she's no Jessica.  Her voice is more suited for songs like "좋았던 건, 아팠던 건 When I Was… When U Were..."

Hara: Just as Rachel mentioned above, none of us are music critics/majors, so I would like to keep it simple :) My opinion on "Breath" is basically the same as Rachel's. There's just something about Chen and Zhang Li Yin's Chinese version which really stands out more than the rest. When the video teasers first came out, my little SONE heart was sure than our adorable kid-leader, Taeyeon, was going to dominate but I have to give it to Zhang Li Yin on this one. Also, it's amazing of Chen to be able to stand his ground against a power-house vocal like Li Yin, despite only at 2 years into his debut. Even though I did enjoy the Korean version with Jonghyun and Taeyeon, it's like a half/half for me. Also similar to Rachel, the Japanese version was my least favorite however, mega props to my girl Krystal for improving so much! 

Lisa:

When I Was...When U Were...
Rachel: "좋았던 건, 아팠던 건 When I Was… When U Were..." is one of my favorite songs.  Krystal and Chen's voices are perfect for this.  This actually is my favorite song on the album.  They're both relatively young so I think their youth brings a little bit of innocence and energy to this song.  This song is in the same vein as Jessica and Onew's "One Year Later" (parted lovers who meet again) but their voices give a more puppy love/first love feel than Jessica and Onew's mature and serious love. 

Hara:

Lisa:

A Day Without You
Rachel: "하루 A Day Without You" is good as a song, but once again I wish they had picked different voices.  Jonghyun and Chen have such similar voices that they should have chosen one or the other.  Heck, when EXO covers SHINee who ends up getting Jonghyun's parts and sounding like a dead ringer?  Chen!  There's no denying they aren't good singers, but to a casual listener (or the first listen) it's difficult to distinguish who is who.  I keep this on repeat because I like the song, but if my music is on shuffle, I find myself forgetting this is a duet and not a solo.  Personally, I would have liked a Chen/Baekhyun duet (one from EXO-K and one from EXO-M ;)), but I can only wish.  ^^

Hara:

Lisa:

Blind 
Rachel: "Blind" is Yesung's "re-debut" after being in the army.  While he's still in the army until April, this is a way to get the public reacquainted with him and to get them to anticipate his return to Super Junior (who should be making a fall comeback if the rumors are to be believed.)  I must be biased toward Chinese or I'm just excited the ZhouMi is back in ring, but I prefer ZhouMi's version over Yesung's.  :/  I also think SM should have taken the opportunity to "debut" Yuta, an SMRookie and SM's only Japanese signee.  They did it for Jino last time.  But then again, thanks to SM's total lack of information on the Rookies, I have no idea if Yuta can even sing (what if he's a rapper or dancer like Shindong and can't sing at all...?).

Hara:

Lisa:


Overall

Rachel: Excellent. SM needs to work on its voice pairings but otherwise a well put together piece of work.

Hara:

Lisa:

No comments:

Post a Comment